In my search for more motivation in what I do, I have asked this one question to hundreds of people in the top management level in various companies. And that question was:
If you could change one thing that would increase the quality and productivity in their companies what would it be?
And without fail each one of them said ATTITUDE. If people would have better attitude, teamwork would go up which would lead to productivity going up. There was a study conducted and the results of that study were that when a person gets a job or a promotion 85 % of the time they get it because of the attitude and only 15% of the time they get it because of the skills they has, how smart they are and how many fats and figures they know .
Do you realize that almost 100% of the money spend in today’s time goes towards learning the skills, the facts and figures and that leads to only 15% of the success. What I want to talk about today is the remaining 85%. This brings us to a crucial point and that is:
IT IS NOT OUR POSITION BUT OUR DISPOSITION WHICH LEADS TO OUR SUCCESS.
So what is this disposition? It is nothing more than our attitude.
Lets talk about something else. What do you think is the difference between skill and competence?
Skill is an ability and competence is the ability along with the attitude and the desire to perform.
There are many skillful people who are totally incompetent. They do not have the desire and the willingness to perform and that ability is important. Ability will take you to a certain level but dependability is crucial. WHY? Because if you have a person with all the ability but they are not dependable would you want them. Obviously not….
ABILITY WITHOUT DEPENDABILITY IS A LIABILITY.
Our life is full of choices and life is also full of compromises. What a contradiction?
Now is it? If I ill treat you I have chosen to be ill-treated. Haven’t I ? If I treat a person with discourtesy I have chosen to be treated with discourtesy. If I drink too much today I have chosen to have a headache in the morning. have I not?
Our life is full of choices. We are free to the point of the choice we make but after we make our choices the choice controls the chooser, and we are left with no more choice.
Does that mean that everything is in control of us in out lives. Obviously not. There are some things which are beyond our control. I never chose where to be born, I never chose the colour of my skin, I never chose the height I have today.
There are some things beyond control.
SOMETIMES BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE
What wrong did they do? As they say in life we don’t choose the cards which are given to us but we choose how we play the game. We cannot choose the direction of the wind but we can choose is how we set our sails. That is why I say life is not about our position but our disposition which is our ATTITUDE. Granted sometimes nature gives us a lemon now the choice is yours whether you make the lemonade or keep crying.
It’s all about our disposition, our attitude. If our attitude is the right one there is nothing which can stop us from attaining the kind of success we deserve, there is noting to stop us from reaching our goals and the kind of life we all want. Attitude is something which we can change and all it takes is the courage to accept your our attitude at present and listening to others. Not just listening but hearing the unsaid things about out attitude. Once we perfect our attitude there is nothing which we cannot control. (leaving a few things…. [Laughing]….)
So let’s all set towards a new goal this coming year and that is to find our within ourselves what kind or attitude we have and aligning out goals and successes to that attitude. If you find within yourself (and nobody can tell you any better) that your attitude needs a course correction, then be the first one to acknowledge that. Acknowledging that is half the battle won and the rest would be taken care of once we have the attitude in control. Let the new year bring a better attitude to all of us and take us more closer and much faster to the success we all want and deserve.